Sunday, May 10, 2015

Anything But Average (Blog #8 Due May 10)

1. Daily Life

Life here in Olomouc has been anything but routine.  Every single day we wake up to a new adventure with so much to explore.  Since we do not have class until 3 in the afternoon on weekdays, our mornings are usually free to do whatever we wish.  On a typical day I wake up around 9:00 A.M. and make breakfast in my room.  This mainly consists of microwavable oatmeal and an apple.  We have a small kitchen area in our flat, but we do not have any pots or pans to actually cook food in-so most of my meals in the dorm have to be microwavable.  After breakfast I like to get caught up on any homework or other tasks that I need to complete before we head off into the city.  I also like doing my laundry at this time in the morning, if I need to.  Around lunch time Maddie, Erica, Lauren and I catch one of the trams and find somewhere to eat.  One of our favorite things to do is find new cafes and try different kinds of food.  When all else fails though, pizza or crepes are our go to meals.  With the remaining time left before class we then will run any other errands we have, go shopping, or simply wander around and try to find something interesting.  When it’s time to go to class we head towards the history building and prepare ourselves for the four hours of lecture.  Our lectures take up a big part of our day, and by the time we get out it is 7:15 P.M.  By then we are all starving, so sometimes we will go find another restaurant to eat at.  When we need to go grocery shopping we usually do it after class also, so we can take everything straight back to our dorms.  By the time we get back to the dorms, I am ready to shower and relax in bed.  I knew from the day we got here that our time in Olomouc was going to go fast, so I try to make the most of every day I have while I am here.  We are gone so much with our field trips and other excursions, so the actual time spent in Olomouc is short.  My “routine” is so much different compared to when I was living at home.  At home I felt as though I actually had a scheduled routine; wake up, work out, read, go to work etc.  Here, I never really know what is going to be on my daily agenda.  In some ways I miss the routine schedule I used to follow, but in other ways it has been so fun not knowing what each day holds in store for me.  One of the things I miss is working out.  While home I would run 3-5 miles every single day, and here I have only gone running a couple of times.  It’s not that I absolutely can’t find the time to run; it’s just that I would rather be using my precious time here to explore and find new things.  I also feel like I have adapted more to the “European” lifestyle, where I’ve learned to take my time and not worry as much about the little things.  It feels as though I just got used to life here in Olomouc, and we are now down to our last week!  Although I am ready to see my friends and family back home, I am definitely going to miss this amazing city more than anything.

Dorm Room

Beautiful Olomouc!

No comments:

Post a Comment